Do you feel like you need guidance from the Lord? Are you in a place in your life where you really need God to guide you?
The book of Jeremiah in the Bible tells us that the way of man is not in himself. Man is not able to direct his own steps into the right path independently of God.
O Lord, I know the way of man is not in himself; It is not in man who walks to direct his own steps. Jeremiah 10:23 NKJV
Every one of us needs the guidance and direction of the Lord throughout our entire lives.. God wants to guide you through every season of life. He has promised in His Word to be your Guide and Leader.
Many people in the world seek guidance from various sources other than God. One of the reasons King Saul of the Old Testament died was because he consulted a medium for guidance (1 Chronicles 10:13). Let’s make a commitment to let God be our Leader and receive our guidance from Him.
Here are 20 promises that God will guide you:
1. Psalm 32:8 – I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with my eye.
The Lord’s attention is on you! He doesn’t just create you and then send you out into the world on your own. He promises that you will be taught by the Lord the right way to go and guided by His eye.
2. Proverbs 3:5-6 – Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding: In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Wow! God says He personally will direct your paths. It can’t get any better than that. Your job is to trust in Him with all your heart and acknowledge Him in all your ways.
3. Isaiah 30:21 – Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left.
Take this verse and mix it with faith. Whenever you turn to the right hand or to the left, listen for a word behind you saying “this is the way, walk in it”. I believe this verse was prophetic of the time we are in now, when the Holy Spirit within us never leaves us and continually guides us.
4. Isaiah 58:11 – The Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your soul in drought, and strengthen your bones; you shall be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.
Not only does God promise to guide you continually, but also to satisfy you, regardless of the conditions around you.
5. John 16:13 – However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.
Not only does the Lord promise to guide you through His Holy Spirit, but He will also tell you things to come. Imagine the value of having a guide that not only knows the future, but will share those future things with you! You can avoid so many problems and take advantage of opportunities that you would otherwise miss without the ministry of the Holy Spirit.
6. Psalm 119:105 – Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
This world is dark, and we need the light of God’s Word to light the way for us. It’s very hard to walk through a dark place without a light of some kind! Even if you try, you’re very likely to trip over something, fall, or get injured. God’s Word is like a lamp that illuminates the right way for you to go and keeps your feet from stepping in a trap of the devil.
7. Psalm 25:9 – The humble He guides in justice, and the humble He teaches His way.
Those who walk in pride won’t seek the Lord and won’t listen when He tries to guide them. Therefore, being a humble person is a necessity for being guided by the Lord.
8. Proverbs 11:3 – The integrity of the upright will guide them, but the perversity of the unfaithful will destroy them.
Another way God promises to guide you is through integrity. When you ignore integrity, you ignore God’s guidance.
9. Exodus 15:13 – You in Your mercy have led forth the people whom You have redeemed; You have guided them in Your strength to Your holy habitation.
The Lord’s guidance is an act of His mercy. His mercy will follow you all the days of your life! (Psalm 23:6)
10. Psalm 23:2 – He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.
Lying down in green pastures symbolizes total safety in a place with abundant provision. Still waters are very deep and symbolize so much life-giving water that drought would never be a concern. God leads us into abundant provision.
11. Jeremiah 29:11 – For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (NIV)
Did you know that God makes plans for you? This verse says that His plans will prosper you!
12. Isaiah 48:17 – Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the Lord your God, Who teaches you to profit, Who leads you by the way you should go.
The Lord Himself says He will teach you to profit! You can’t get a better teacher than God Himself. Not only will He teach you to profit, but He will lead you in the way you should go. How incredible is that! Grab onto this verse and believe it.
Declare this verse over your life by saying out loud “The Lord my God teaches me to profit, He leads me in the way I should go!”. Make this verse a prayer and say “Thank you Lord, You are My God. Thank you for teaching me to profit and leading me in the way I should go.”
13. John 10:3 – To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.
Jesus is your Shepherd. He promises to call you by name and lead you. What a wonderful promise.
14. Proverbs 6: 22, 23 – When you roam, they will lead you; when you sleep, they will keep you; and when you awake, they will speak with you. For the commandment is a lamp, and the law a light;
God will guide you continually through His Word. He uses His Word to light your way, just like a lamp.
15. Isaiah 28:26 – For He instructs him in right judgment, His God teaches him.
God will teach you how to make good decisions. Decisions can alter our life dramatically. One of the ways the Lord guides you is by “instructing you in right judgment”. He will teach you to make good decisions about things.
16. Psalm 73:24 – You will guide me with Your counsel, And afterward receive me to glory.
When God says something, you can know for sure that it is true. His promise here is to guide us with His counsel.
17. Psalm 48:14 – For this is God, Our God forever and ever; He will be our guide even to death.
What an incredible verse. He is your guide all the way to the end of this life. He will never leave you nor forsake you.
18. Psalm 107:30 – Then they are glad because they are quiet; So He guides them to their desired haven.
The Lord spoke this verse to me once when I was praying about finding a home in a new location. He said He would guide me to my desired haven, and He did just that!
19. Isaiah 49:10 – They shall neither hunger nor thirst, neither heat nor sun shall strike them; for He who has mercy on them will lead them, even by the springs of water He will guide them.
This verse is God the Father speaking to Jesus about what Jesus would accomplish. Yet another promise that God will lead and guide you.
20. Isaiah 28:29 – This also comes from the Lord of hosts, Who is wonderful in counsel and excellent in guidance.
You could search all of existence and never find a better counselor and guide than the Lord!